Friday, October 30, 2015

An evening stroll with my nephews

The day we have arrived in the village, my two nephews incessantly insisted on me and my wife to visit their paddy field. We were simply astounded by their offer, and humbly accepted it.   
So the next evening, a little before the sunset, we set out. A few minutes’ walk from their house has brought us to the vast piece of rice land. And once we walked in, it felt heavenly. It was filled with ripening colors of golden paddy like a lavish gift from the God. 

In the middle of the field, the lads pressed in front of us, taking a fast stride. And suddenly, they stopped. They raised their hands and started pointing out to their field.

Their voice filled with excitement and pride, they shouted, “That’s our paddy!”

It was close to harvest, and looked very rich.
From our family, these two lads are the only young children who are being brought up in the village at the moment. Both go to the school: the elder one a Class I student; and younger one is in Class PP.

We continued our stroll, gently touching the rice and feeling its strong odor. However, my wife and I have been left quite surprised. The young boys delighted us with their farm knowledge. Once in the field, they no more acted like a kid.

Looking at the rice and its color, they can assess the rice’s quality and know when they are going to harvest their rice. So young, yet they understand the importance of water and soil to their crops. Moreover, they know so well about their village and households and the people who live there.
The reality is that the children of my village, by way of life, are continuously engaged in life and works of their parents. As they grow up, they acquire the farming skills and knowledge as in the process. 

After half an hour, the sun sunk and we returned towards home. On the way back, my wife asked the lads what they want to become in the future. The older one aspires to become a teacher, and the younger one, a driver.

None wants to be a farmer. 
Hearing it pained me. Even the children who know so well about farming do not wish to become a farmer. I know the education will definitely take them away from here.

Will they return and again show similar interest in their farm?

For the first time in my life, I began to worry what future holds for this beautiful farmland. 

2 comments:

  1. The world and fate has changed with time. They go in cycles and circles too. Someday, others will become farmers again but using the latest technologies. This has happened in US.

    The kids are amazing and innocent. Your good story brings me sweet memories of my childhood too. Happy Weekend dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice reflection, Riku. I am also concerned about the future of our traditional farming practices. Definitely your nephews are expected to go through modern education system and settle in urban centers like you and me. This is the expectation of our society. But it seems nobody is yet worried about who would take care of those beautiful farmlands in the villages in the future when our parents and grandparents are gone.

    ReplyDelete